Aquaponic Farming Certificate Program
College Level Education program
This 9-month program is available as an entire series to anyone interested in studying
aquaponics farming. The WEI Aquaponic Farming Certificate option is available to students who would like to pursue a more intensive course of study which requires a final exam. You can register for the entire series without signing up for the Certificate Program. Individual classes are not available to students not registered for the entire 9-month program.
Aquaponic Farming Certificate Program: Learn the basics in aquaponics and aquaculture farming. Topics covered in this class will range from aquaponic water chemistry and fish ecology, design and equipment for aquaponic tubs, fish and plant health, planting techniques for growing aquaponic vegetables, system maintenance and equilibrium, equipment resources, lighting/energy efficiency, spawning and fish ribbons, harvesting and market planning, and regulations for aquaponic farming in Minnesota
Start date : September 8, 2019
Location: WEI’s Amador Hill Farm and Orchard , 15715 River Road,
North Branch (Amador Township), Minnesota, 55056.
Class Schedule: Class meets every 2ndSunday of month Sept. 2019-May 2019
Instructor: Chad Hebert (The Urban Farm Project)
Requirements for WEI Aquaponic Farming Certificate and Letter of Achievement: Attend a minimum of 8 of the 9 aquaponic classes and commit to hands-on training at WEI’s aquaponics farm. For an additional $50 (instructor grading time and exit interview), you can request a customized final exam to verify what you have learned and skills you have acquired. If you pass your exam, you will receive WEI’s Aquaponic Farming CertificateandLetter of Achievementwhich will verify what you have learned, what skills you have acquired, evaluation of your work ethic and aptitude for learning and any special assets you bring to aquaponic farming or the future of the aquaculture movement. These documents may be used for future employment, school applications, transfer of credit or as a résumé feature. WEI will try to help you make these articulations.
Aquaponic Farming Class Schedule for 2019-2020
(Available only to fully registered students; no individual class registration available)
- Sept.8 2019 INTRO CLASS In addition to the Sept. 8 class at WEI, the same class will be offered twice during September at a Twin City’s location (TBD). All of the remaining classes will meet at WEI’s Amador Hill Farm on the second Sunday of the month 1:30-4:00, unless otherwise designated.
- October 13, 2019: System Design and Components/Starting your Home Aquaponic System 1:30-4:00
- November 10, 2019: Fish Husbandry and Plant Care 1:30-4:00
- December 8, 2019 : Water chemistry 1:30-4:00
- January 12, 2020: Marketing and Rules and Regulations 1:30-4:00
- February 9, 2020; Bio Filtration 1:30-4:00
- March 8, 2020 : Off Season Production and Vertical Integration 1:30-4:00
- April 12, 2020: Shutting Down the System 1:30-4:00
- May 10, 2020: Overview of Annual Production and Fish Fry1:30-4:00
OBJECTIVES of Aquaponic Certificate Class:
(1) Basic knowledge of Yellow Perch fish and other fish science
(3) System Design, Chemistry and Maintenance AQ Farming
(4) Marketing Aquaponics and Regulations
(5) Experiential: Hands-on management of a four-season AQ systems
(6) Building a Home or Business Aquaponic system