WEI’s Amador Hill Farm, an organically certified four-season farm, is looking for a person to join with Farm Manager to teach and mentor students enrolled in Organic Farming 101. Workload incudes farming and working on seasonal production chores and tasks as a mentoring leader for our students. As a teaching assistant, the workload includes review and improvement of the curriculum and ability to lead some classroom discussions or field demonstrations with the students. We are looking for someone who endorses the food and farming justice mission of the Women’s Environmental Institute and wants to help grow beginning farmers through a rigorous and intensive farming program (Organic Farming 101) from mid-May to the end of August. See application for Farmer Teaching Assistant for more detail. This can be a part-time or full-time position; 5 to 8 hours shifts available, or one day a week on our farm campus. Pay rate negotiable depending on qualifications. Applications will begin to be reviewed March 1 with applicant reviews every two weeks thereafter. Open until filled.
- Ability to work closely with the Farm Manager in designing and implementing the Organic Farming 101 as a certificate education program
- Experience working on a small-scale to moderately-sized farm that uses organically-certified or sustainable growing methods.
- General knowledge of farm planning, field management using organic methods.
- Experience explaining theory and techniques used in organic farming
- Ability to read lots of material and organize a presentation of these ideas for our students
- Ability to draw on your experience to create curriculum or field demonstrations
- Reliable, positive attitude, energetic, focused, and steady
- Ability to work on a team and follow directions for assigned tasks.
- Good record keeping skills and love of teaching for the next generation.
- Expertise in some areas of farming that will add strength to our program
- Formal training in undergrad or more advanced farming, horticulture or agriculture
- Master gardener expertise in growing vegetables and fruits using organic methods
- Teaching experience with college level or advanced high school students on farming or gardening.
- Teaching experience with youth on farming or gardening.
- Familiarity with some of the books to be used in this class Teaching Organic Farming and Gardening, The Market Gardener, Building Soils for Better Crops, Building a Sustainable Business, Roxbury Regenerative Farming Practices, Crop Planning for Organic Vegetable Growers, and Nutrient Management for Fruits and Vegetables.
Updated 25 February 2020